2 whole cups soya milk
I Cup alpro Cream
200ml free range egg OR 100ml vegg substitute and 100ml egg replacer to make it vegan.
Half a cup of Caster Sugar
1 Vanilla Pod Seeds and pod separated
- In a medium saucepan, mix milk and cream. Warm until foam forms around the edges. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until frothy. Gradually pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture gels slightly and coats the back of the spoon. If small egg lumps begin to show, remove from heat immediately.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve or fine strainer into a bowl. Cover, and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a sealed container, and freeze until firm. If the gelato is too firm, place it in the refrigerator until it reaches the desired consistency.
Lemon Gelato Recipe
Have you thought about substituting my fabulous jam and marmalade flavours for the sugar? Think of all the faboulous flavours you can make – just leave out the lemon zest and add extra soya milk instead of the lemon juice and add a cup of your chosen jam instead of using sugar!
- 1 cup soya milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 250ml free range egg or substitute, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups alpro cream
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Add lemon peel. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; strain. Stir in lemon juice. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream Machine and churn the mixture until it forms ice cream