For the pâté
- 100ml/3½fl oz yellow Pure Butter
- 400g/14oz mixed mushrooms (such as shiitake, chestnut and oyster), cleaned and sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200g/7oz unsalted butter
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Ericas Red Onion Marmalade To Serve
- For the pâté, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and the onion and fry for 8-10 minutes, or until softened. Drain through a colander (discard the liquid), set aside to cool for at least one hour, then chill in the fridge until completely cold. (NB: Ideally the mushrooms should be chilled overnight).
- Blend half of the chilled mushroom and onion mixture, 125g/4½oz of the butter and all of the cayenne pepper, nutmeg, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor until well combined but still textured.
- Transfer the blended mixture to a bowl, then fold in the remaining chilled mushroom and onion mixture until well combined.
- Pack the mixture into eight dariole moulds or ramekins. Or alternatively put it into one large air-tight jar. Melt the remaining 75g/2¾oz of butter in a small pan over a medium heat. Drizzle the melted butter over the pâté mixture. Chill in the fridge overnight.
- To serve, turn each mushroom pâté out of its dariole mould or ramekin into the centre of a serving plate. Spoon some of the chutney alongside. Place one slice of grilled brioche alongside.