My Favourite tea! it’s cheap to make, delicious and healthy – dal is the perfect comfort food supper.
- 250g/9oz chana dal (yellow dried split peas), rinsed until the water runs clear
- 1 litre/1¾ pints water
- Half a jar of Ruby Curry Paste
- 1 carton of passatta (approx 250ml)
- handful chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Place the lentils and 900ml/1¾ pints of the water into a pan, stir well and bring to the boil. Skim off any froth that forms on the surface of the water with a spoon. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer, stirring regularly, for 35-40 minutes, or until the lentils are just tender, adding more water as necessary.
- When the lentils have cooked through, remove the pan from the heat and use a whisk to break down the lentils. Set the mixture aside to thicken and cool.
- Meanwhile in a pan over a medium heat and add the ruby paste and tomatoes and add to the pan and stir well to combine.
- Add 100ml/3½fl oz of water to the pan and stir well to combine and simmer over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the oil from the sauce has risen to the surface of the sauce.
- Add the cooked lentils to the sauce and stir well, adding more water as necessary to loosen the mixture. Bring the mixture to the boil then Stir in the chopped coriander just before serving.